Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Make some dough

Unfortunately not of the variety that I only wish grew on trees but of the play variety.

My daughter's playdough previously had met an untimely demise when she decided to see how far she could push mummy, and it was hungrily eaten by my friend the dyson. However today feeling like I am happy to welcome playdph back into this household, I decided instead of wasting 15 to twenty bucks on store bought we'd tackle making it ourselves, cost $0.

We used this recipe I guess you would call it and it made heaps. (Recipe from Gymboree 365 activities you and your toddler will love.)

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups salt
6 teaspoons cream of tartar
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 cups water
few drops of food colouring in three colours (we only had two, so just split it into two instead)

Combine all ingredients except the food colouring in a large pot over medium high heat. Stir constantly until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pot and forms a ball. (this bit definitely works out those biceps) Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle, turn dough onto waxed paper (baking paper) and knead it for a minute or so. Then divide it into three portions (like I said I only did two) and knead in the food colourings to make each a different colour. The dough is now ready.

Ours is currently in the fridge, cooling down a bit more as it wasn't quite cool enough for them to play with. Oh and mum had to do all the kneading as someone didn't want to get their hands dirty.

She was happy to pose for the camera though ;)


It was surprisingly easy, besides the arm workout and like I said, free, as we already had everything in the pantry and the girls had fun helping me make it, so a great afternoon activity.

Now I wonder how long it will take for the dyson to get hungry again ;)

1 comment:

  1. Woot! Thanks for the inspiration! I haven't made playdough for about a year now. Buy it? Why would you do that!!

    Love the little model = clean hands and all lmao!

    ReplyDelete