Friday, January 30, 2009

Wits end

I've been brushing this off as a stage that she will eventually move on from but this has been going on since before her second birthday, so well over a year now. My daughter refuses to eat, when she does it, it is very bland and basic stuff. She flat out refuses to eat fruit and vegetables. I've tried everything from hiding fruit and vegetables in her meals, to bribery, ignoring and to rewarding when she does eat her dinner but it's really infuriating me now. I'm embarassed and ashamed when we go out and meet up with other people with kids her age who will happily eat their fruit and vegetables, and basically everything they are given, whilst my daughter blantantly refuses to do so, it makes me feel like I've done something wrong for her to be like this.

She used to eat absolutely everything she was given, and had such vast tastes she would eat things like dal, curries, minestrone, you name it she ate it and she ate it all, including the vegies. So whats going on now, why has she stopped eating, and why has it been going on for so long? I've mentioned it to doctors and ECHN when we've had check ups but nobody has been concerned with the behaviour as she is a healthy kid. But I'm concerned and I don't know what to do anymore. I have a myriad of cookbooks aimed at the toddler and fussy eater but for the most part they were a waste of money as she still doesn't eat what she's served, even if she hasn't eaten anything since lunchtime.

At the moment I am continuing to serve her what we are having at dinner and if she doesn't eat it, which 9 times out of 10 she does not, it goes in the bin or someone else eats it and she doesn't have dinner but it's really breaking my heart that she's refusing to eat and I'm sick of the wastage. I don't want to be cooking a special meal for everyone, and I don't think my expectations are too high in that I expect her to eat what we're eating.

This is the bare list of what my daughter will eat:
  • weetbix (we had fruit puree so she is getting some fruit)
  • Rafferty gardens fruit puree pouches (will not eat it if I've done the puree)
  • any cereal really
  • cheese
  • yoghurt
  • rice
  • pasta
  • mashed potato
  • banana
  • baked beans
  • noodles/spaghetti
  • sausage
  • bread/toast (with vegemite, peanut butteror jam usually)
  • crackers (such as cruskits/saladas)
  • chips
  • biscuits
  • rice cakes or corn thins
  • sultanas
  • chicken (she can be a bit hit and miss with this)
  • peanuts
  • plain hamburger (no sauce)
  • hot chips
  • macaroni cheese
  • hash browns
  • pancakes
  • steak (again, can be hit and miss with this)
  • chocolate (ditto to above)

That's about all I can think of, she will only drink water or milk, which I am really pleased about. She doesn't like sauce of any kind and most days will refuse to eat spaghetti or a rice dish if I've put sauce on it and will only eat the bits without the sauce on it, which basically does away with trying to hide the nutrients in the bloody sauce. Her body is definitely getting it's fill of dairy and carbohydrates but when comes to everything else, well the list basically says it all.

I've tried talking to her about it, offering her things to try, she just won't have a bar of it. I don't know what to do anymore and I am so embarassed about the fact that my child is the one when out not eating her fruit or leaving her vegies, it just makes me feel like such a bad mother.

Someone please help me, what can I do?!?

1 comment:

  1. Kat, that list is pretty good actually, there is variety in her food. Does she eat iceblocks in the heat? You could puree fruit and make iceblocks perhaps, or smoothies with her milk?

    It must be worrying for you, but don't be embarrassed, my neice is exactly the same and she's healthy - just some kids are fussy and some kids aren't. Probably the stress and anxiety about serving her food might be adding to the issue, if only subconciously.

    Hugs to you. Again don't feel like you have failed her - it may be a phase that she will only grow out of when she has more social time with other kids like at School. Hang in there xxx

    ReplyDelete