This afternoon I decided to make a cake, so I pulled out a Christmas present of mine, a cookbook entitled the "Best of kids cooking" and found a recipe that sounded like a bit of fun for Taleisha and I to attempt, it was a Marble Cake.
Here is the recipe:
340g packet vanilla cake mix (we did not have that so made it from scratch using 2 cups SR flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 125g butter, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence)
1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted ( we didn't use this one as the pictures will soon show :) )
2-3 drops strawberry essence
2-3 drops red food colouring
1 1/4 cups icing sugar
30g butter, melted
1 tablespoon milk
2. Make up cake mix following the microwave directions on the packet. (I made the above up as I would normally to bake and it worked fine) Fold in flour and divide mixture into three bowls (we only did two)
3. Add the cocoa powder to one bowl and mix well. (we omitted this one, Taleisha didn't want chocolate, she must be unwell :) )
4. Add the strawberry essence and red food colouring to the second bowl. Leave the mixture in the third bowl plain.
5. Put a tablespoon of each mixture alternatively into the cake ring until all the mixture is used up.
6. Use a skewer to lightly swirl the colours together so it looks like marble - this is of course our the cake gets it's name.
7. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until the cake is spongy. Let cool and then ice cake.
8. To make the coloured icing - beat the ingredients together then divide into bowls and add red food colouring or cocoa powder.
We didn't quite follow this to plan as picasso decided she wanted a pink and green cake, so we divided our mixture into two only and added rose pink and green food colouring. It looks pretty cool and I can't believe how quick and easy it was to make. This is the first cake I have ever cooked in a microwave and it was so super easy and ready in a flash that I think I will be doing it again soon.
Note to self - when letting three year olds help you in the kitchen never turn your back on them to get something out of the pantry as they will proceed to open said food colouring and pour the whole bottle into the icing mixture, talk about ghastly hot pink icing, lol.
Oh and here is a photo of picasso enjoying her creation :)